The Invasion of America
Between 1776 and 1887, the United States seized over 1.5 billion acres from America's indigenous people by treaty and executive order. Explore how in this interactive map of every Native American land cession during that period.
- To watch the United States expand across the continent, click the movie icon in the top right. Use the slider below to see how things changed year to year.
- Click on any area of the map to see who ceded the land and when. Popup boxes contain links to treaty text.
- Find your home or a different address by clicking the target icon at the top right.
- Use the "Highlight By Nation" box to find all cessions by the Cherokee, the Sioux, or any other people.
- Select source maps to see nineteenth-century maps of land cessions.
To learn more about America in 1776
View Interactive Map at: